Obaje sets sights for more goals with FC Ifeanyiubah

Obaje sets sights for more goals with FC Ifeanyiubah

With the resumption of the second round of the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) just days away, one man who cannot wait to get back into the action is Godwin Obaje.The 20-year-old defends the colours of FC Ifeanyiubah these days but he will be remembered for his bags of goals for Wikki Tourists last season as he emerged the top scorer for the 2015/16 NPFL season with 18 goals.Not that it was the first time Obaje will be among the goals. He has always been, even from his grassroots years in Kaduna with Moderate Stars that had the likes ofMoses Simon (now with KAA Gent in Belgium), Samuel Agba (Niger Tornadoes) and Donatus Edafe.Obaje was expected to take his trade abroad after emerging the league’s top scorer last term but after junketing North Africa and Russia, he returned back to Nigeria to sign on for Nnewi-based FC Ifeanyiubah.It was not until Matchday 6 that Obaje suited up for the Anambra Warriors. He has been able to scoresix goals at the halfway mark - an impressive return of six in 13.Obaje told npfl.ng that he is eagerlyawaiting the resumption of the league as he still has an unfinishedbusiness, the business of scoring goals and propelling his team to a continental ticket at the end of the season.“The first half of the season wasn’t bad but it could have been better for me and the team as well. I’m ready and raring to go for the second half of the season,” Obaje said.“We have been preparing seriously for the resumption with our coaches. They have shown us some of the things we didn’t do right and we have corrected those mistakes.“Personally, my target has always been the same. The target is to score goals and more goals for my team. It is all about the team and if the goals to propel the team comesthrough me then it is all good.“I’m being paid to score goals, but at the same time, I rather win titles with the team than individual accolades. I’ve scored six goals already and I’m aiming for more butmy major target is to propel the team to the top. That is the most important thing. I hope my goals can lift FC Ifeanyiubah.”When asked if he has any goals target for the season and national team ambitions, Obaje said he doesnot have any goals target but will definitely love another shot at the Super Eagles.He trained once with the squad lastyear, an experience he relishes till date and hopes his goals can earn him a recall.“Every player wants to play for his country, I’m no different,” the former Wikki Tourists forward said.“I was part of the set-up last year against Zambia even though I nevergot to play in the game but the experience was amazing, stuff you only dream of.“I don’t have a target for the season. I just want to score goals and more goals. The thing is I nevercount my goals, I only do that at theend of the season.“Hopefully I will score more for FC Ifeanyiubah and get a call-up, be it the CHAN Eagles or the main team. That is my dream but for now. I’m concentrating on scoring goals for team.FC Ifeanyiubah finished the first stanza of the season eighth on the NPFL log with 28 points after 19 games and will face Shooting StarsSports Club (3SC) in Ibadan this Sunday

Post a Comment

0 Comments

Translate